These are some of the frequent questions ask by customers about mold.
1. Is the mold in my home going to make me and my family sick?
The professional answer is I don’t know. I’m not a Doctor. A professional mold inspector should not tell people the mold is going to make them sick to sell a job. This is a scare tactic.
Blood samples would be needed to be taken from the patient to determine if mold is found in the blood stream.
Then air quality samples and swab samples would need to be taken in the structure to determine the levels of mold spores and then compare the two tests.
2. I have heard horror stories about black mold, and I see some black mold on my basement block wall. What can I do about this?
Mold needs a food and water supply and concrete blocks are not a food source for mold. Most of the time this is simply efflorescence or chemicals seeping through the blocks due to moisture coming through the blocks.
3. I had a mold company come to my home and said that’s black mold indicating it was Stachybotrys mold and very toxic mold and I should not be in my home. Now what?
I hear this every few days. I always ask the customer if he had a bis S on his chest or a microscope in his pocket. Mold types are determined by the spores which are microscopic and would be analyzed by an accredited laboratory
4. Is all mold black?
Mold colors are determined by the food source. Flamingos are white. Their color comes from eating shrimp. When wallpaper is removed, and mold growth is found on the paper. It is the same colors as the wallpaper it can be green, blue purple and many other colors.
5. Can I spray some bleach on the mold and paint it over?
Mold is not treated. Dead mold spores may be just as allergenic as live mold spores. Read from the Environmental Protection Agency epa.gov and go to the mold section. Mold is removed not treated. The Clorox web site also says not to use bleach on wood products.